To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of (name of org) so as to support the organization’s mission and needs.
Mission or purpose statement: (Insert your mission statement or other appropriate language here.)
- Organizational leadership and advisement
- Organization of the board of directors, officers, and committees
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
- Personnel evaluation and staff development
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports
- Promotion of the organization
- Fundraising and outreach
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of (name of org). Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Length of term
Three years, which may be renewed up to a maximum of three consecutive terms, pending approval of the board.
Meetings and time commitment
- The board of directors meets September through June on the second Monday of the month, 7:00 p.m., at (location). Meetings typically last 90 minutes.
- Committees of the board meet an average of four times per year, pending their respective work agenda.
- Board members are asked to attend no more than two special events or meetings per year, as they are determined.
Expectations of board members
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as able.
- Participate on a standing committee of the board, and serve on ad-hoc committees as necessary.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by (name of org) mission, objectives, and programs.
- Help communicate and promote (name of org) mission and programs to the community.
- Become familiar with (name of org) finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of (name of org).
- Financially support (name of org) in a manner commensurate with one’s ability.